The Dockyard at English Harbour is named for the victor of the battle of Trafalgar, Admiral Lord Nelson. Built in 1725 to serve as a base for the British Royal Naval, it was abandoned in 1889 and released to the Colonial Government in 1906. As restorations began in 1951, the Yard became known as Nelson’s Dockyard in honour of Admiral Horatio Nelson who had served as a Captain in the Leeward Islands from 1784-87. Today, it is the world’s last Georgian dockyard still in operation.
One restaurant of particular note is the supremely positioned Catherine’s Café at Antigua Slipway. Tucked away from the main road and overlooking Nelson’s Dockyard from its perch on the waters’ edge, Catherine’s is a favourite lunch location for those "in the know".